Brenda Levin MArch '76
Architect Brenda A. Levin, FAIA, is known for revitalizing Los Angeles’ urban, historic and cultural form. For over 30 years her architecture and urban design firm has pioneered the preservation and redefinition of important historic landmarks including Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles City Hall, Wiltern Theater, Bradbury, Oviatt, Fine Arts buildings and Grand Central Market.
The firm’s work also includes the design of new educational, cultural and religious buildings. Past and current notable projects include the Japanese American National Museum’s National Center for the Preservation of Democracy, The Autry and Southwest Museums, The Huntington, John Anson Ford Theatre, campus buildings at Scripps, Occidental, Whittier and Pitzer colleges, Dodger Stadium, and Hercules Campus, the former home of Howard Hughes Aviation. Recently completed is the restoration and revitalization of the 1929 Wilshire Boulevard Temple, featured in the New York Times.
Ms. Levin has lectured on her work at the Getty, colleges, universities and professional organizations. She and the firm have been honored by numerous organizations, including the Urban Land Institute, American Institute of Architects, Los Angeles Conservancy, City of Los Angeles, State of California, the National Association of Women Business Owners, NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund, the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, ArtTable, and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Ms. Levin received a Masters of Architecture degree from Harvard Graduate School of Design, and attended both New York University and Carnegie Mellon as an undergraduate.
She is currently on the board of the Claremont University Consortium and Chair of the Land Use Policy Committee, and Past President of the Downtown Women’s Center and Los Angeles Conservancy.
Ms. Levin is a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects and the AIA/Los Angeles selected her to receive the 2010 Gold Medal, which is the highest honor it can bestow on an individual.